[Simh] Fwd: Making tape/disk images

Ken Cornetet Ken.Cornetet at kimball.com
Wed May 5 13:49:26 EDT 2010

I don't know what John Wilson's virtual disk driver does (I assume you are talking about ersatz-11).

For sure, a host program to read and write disk images would be very handy, BUT, you'd need a separate version for each operating system. The tape scheme we are discussing would be useful for all guest systems.

In my case, I use simh for running HP's RTE-6/VM. RTE's original FMGR file system is documented and would be easy to hack, but is of limited functionality. RTE's later FMP file system is not (that I know of) documented anywhere.

Come to think of it, I seem to recall that FMGR file systems had the built-in capability of being shared between two computers. I'm not sure RTE supported it, though.

I think I'll try an FMGR image utility. It should be easy to whip up, and it would have the benefit of working with older versions of RTE as well. The problem is that I think there is only about three of us running RTE on simh.