[Simh] Graphics on SimH

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Thu Jul 8 21:34:44 EDT 2010

There is actually an implementation of the PDP-1's frame buffer on SimH,
done several revs ago.  I believe that it relies on native Windows calls
for the Windows family, and native X Windows call for everyone else.
That's certainly a viable approach.

I've consulted with experts (ie, my children, who write computer games)
on possibilities for truly OS independent graphics packages.  One
possibility is Java, but the issues of interfacing a single-threaded C
program - SimH - to the inherently multithreaded Java environment are
not trivial.  Portable packages, like Qt, usually omit one of the
supported host systems (Windows, VMS, Unix, Linux, MacOS).

I can post the PDP-1 work somewhere, if people are interested in looking
at it.

/Bob Supnik