[Simh] An idea for graphics support in SIMH

Leo Broukhis leob at mailcom.com
Thu Jul 8 12:24:29 EDT 2010

Richard <legalize at xmission.com> writes:

>> A great showcase for graphics support using VNC could be Terak
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terak_8510/a) that had a "smart" frame
>> buffer with downloadable fonts, hardware-assisted scrolling, and
>> text/graphics overlay.
>
> I have a Terak in my collection.
>
> I'm not sure why this makes a case for VNC vs. a local client though.

RFB protocol features (CopyRect) that facilitate handling of scrolling and fonts
 will allow for a more efficient implementation.

Using a portable library (e.g. SDL) is also possible but, IMO, it will
be more tedious
to build from source without providing any benefit compared to a VNC client,
unless we get to the point when we need to synchronize video with sound.

Leo