[Simh] An idea for graphics support in SIMH

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Jul 7 12:31:10 EDT 2010

Before getting TOO excited - yes, it would be nice - have a look at the June
issue of CACM (http://mags.acm.org/communications/201006/?pg=57#pg57) for a
good description of what's really involved in graphics emulation for old
machines.

It's a really, really hard problem.  At least if you want a 100% solution.
Or one that looks right with classic software...

For VAX, note that remote X-windows does work - and there was a VWS emulator
(by DEC on VAX) that allowed VWS applications to work under X pretty well.
Of course on an LCD display you'll get the pixel artifacts.

I'm actually of the school that something is better than nothing - but
knowing the full scope of the problem is important too.