[Simh] An idea for graphics support in SIMH

Brian Knittel brian at quarterbyte.com
Wed Jul 7 12:10:18 EDT 2010

This seems like a good approach. Besides the PDP-1, the PDP-11 had the
VT-11 and the IBM 1130 had the 2250. These are very similar devices --
asynchronous display-list vector display processors. Who knows -- maybe
someone can rig up an Evans and Sutherland PS2 for the PDP-11/70. (I
think Tom Ferrin's UNIX V6 drivers are available?).

The approach would also work well for machines with pixel- and
character-based graphics like the IBM 5100 and 5110. (I have a SIMH
emulator working, but it's Windows-only at this point due to the
graphics issue). Then there are the e.g. Cromemco-type boards for the
Altair, and so on.

It does sort of open a Pandora's Box though, as it invites the
proliferation of GUI control panels and other fluff. (Says the author
of a fluffy, hacked-up GUI control panel for SIMH IBM 1130). One thing
I like about SIMH is that the experience is all about the software,
rather than on reproducing the physical appearance of the hardware.

The tricky part would be the asynchronous nature of these display
beasts. Could it be done without using a separate thread? Maybe. Or
could we work up an abstraction of a display thread that was cross-
platform and not too ugly? Maybe. It seems to me that this is where the
difficulty and elegance will lie.

Brian