[Simh] CDC 6600

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Wed Jul 7 11:23:34 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Kevin Monceaux <Kevin at rawfeddogs.net> wrote:

> Are any of the models implemented by the Desktop CYBER Emulator:
>
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~tom-hunter/
>
> close enough to the 6600/7600 to be of any help?

The 6400 was the low-end version of the 6600 architecture, so probably
the 6400 would be a good base. Still, given the fact that a single
binary license of DtCyber costs $12000, its a bit pricy. The author is
planning to release the source code at some point in the future (I
actually know when, but am not sure if I'm allowed to say) but when he
does, it will be under the GPL v3 (presumably to prevent the code from
being used by commercial entities other than the author's own, which
seems fair enough) so I doubt that the license will be compatible with
SIMH even once the code is there.

Also, software for the CDC stuff is not that easy to come by. While
there IS a hobbyist program for older CDC stuff, it is more selective
about who gets licenses that the OpenVMS program is.

Given that an emulator is rather useless without software to run on
it, I would say improvements to the plaforms that we already have
emulated and that software is readily available for would be more
useful than new platforms.

Mike