[Simh] FW: VAX780 ini file ...

Ian King IanK at vulcan.com
Thu Jan 14 01:26:29 EST 2010

Oops - repeating for the list -- Ian
From: Ian King
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:26 PM
To: John Welsh
Subject: RE: [Simh] FW:  VAX780 ini file ...

FWIW, I have successfully booted a VAX780 emulator from an OpenVMS 7.2 distribution and completed installation.  While 6.2 was the last 'officially' supported version, later versions can boot.  However, VMS 8+ DID NOT SUPPORT VAX.  To my knowledge, VMS 7.3 was the last version built for VAX.  <sob....>

Yes, the VAX780 emulation needs VMB.exe, because it does not emulate the mechanism by which real VAX-11/780s boot: an RX01.  (I am not criticizing, only making note.)

We run OpenVMS 6.2 on our VAX-11/780-5: rosencrantz.pdpplanet.com, thanks to the generous grant of a license from HP.  -- Ian