[Simh] Install of VMS4.6 on VAX 780 crashes

Peter Allan petermallan at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 28 09:50:48 EST 2010

Thanks to Mark, Wilm, Greg and Rob for advice and help with my problem.

I have now managed to do the following:

1) Install VMS 4.6 on an emulated microVAX 3900 on Linux
2) Use that system disk on an emulated microVAX 3900 on Windows XP
3) Use that system disk on an emulated VAX 780 on Windows XP
4) Install VMS 4.6 from scratch on an emulated VAX 780 on Windows XP

BUT

I am still failing to get the 780 emulator to work properly on Linux (CentOS
5.5). I tried copying the system disk that worked on Windows XP back to
Linux, but I get the same problem as below, i.e. it crashes in SWAPPER.

I would be tempted to say that there is a problem with the 780 emulator on
Linux, except that I successfully installed VMS 7.3 a couple of days ago.

So, I have made considerable progress (thanks again to those mentioned
above), but I still cannot get VMS 4.6 running on a 780 on Linux, which was
my main target.

Any further ideas?

Peter Allan