[Simh] SIMH on Windows CE (booting!)

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 00:24:24 EST 2010

Well after a bit of fighting this abandoned thing called libce &
w32console from emacs... I've managed to boot 4.2 BSD on my "test"
Windows CE 3.0 machine (Qemu 0.13.0 running the CEPC image).

Amazingly it works..... kind of.

The downside seems to be me constantly doing message peeks as a kbhit
replacement causes the input que to stall? I'm not so sure...  And of
course running emulators in emulators isn't terribly fast it's about
comprable to running the MS-DOS version of the VAX 11/780.  I've seen
mention of a pcap for Windows CE so I suppose that is worth
investigating as well.. That'd make things more interesting then say
DZ-11....

Needless to say SIMH loves memory and typically in CE environments
that's tight... I've been able to boot 4.2 BSD multiuser on a 32MB VM
(with a 7MB CE image..) with SIMH configured for a 8MB VAX...

So is it practical?

Not really, granted the networking on a MAXALL build of CE is way
better then MS-DOS but even a cut down version of CE say 3-4MB does
anyone really need something that small?  I know this all goes back to
the whole embedded SIMH type discussion a while back..

I dont know how practical it is, but if anyone is curious I can
provide binaries modified source etc etc...
And for those into screen caps' here you go.
http://vpsland.superglobalmegacorp.com/install/WindowsCE/BSD42onCE3.jpg