[Simh] Hardware Requirements

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Fri Dec 10 20:10:13 EST 2010

I've got a Technico 9900-based process control system arround here
somewhere. The 9900 CRU was handy for that sort of thing - clumsy for
more normal purposes.

I also have a a few front panel here, and believe it or not was thinking
about using the 9900 CRU chips (which have both a 74xxx and a 99xx
number) to drive the pannel off the parallel port. They are 8 bit, bit
addressable latches. I would have used a parallel port. 7 of the port
data bits would select the bit, the remaining port data bit would be the
value. Speed would probably be good enough - parallel ports can be fast.
You don't want an emulator that drives a front pannel to be too fast or
the blinking ligts won't look right.

That is one project that dropped plumb off the bottom of my "someday" list.