[Simh] simh lightweight OS (was RE: Hardware Requirements)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Dec 7 23:13:43 EST 2010

At 7:02 AM -0800 12/7/10, Bob Armstrong wrote:
>  >Zane Healy (healyzh at aracnet.com) wrote:
>>
>>I used to have a dedicated box for PDP-10 emulation, it was built
>>using a Celeron 500Mhz CPU.
>
>   In a slightly different but related question - assuming you want to set up
>a PC just for the purpose of running simh, what's the lightest weight
>operating system that you can run on the host?  Did I hear somebody say that
>simh runs on DOS?  FreeDOS too?  That's pretty light weight.  Or do you use
>a stripped down Linux distro instead?  DSL?
>
>   I'm thinking of a PC that, when you turn it on, runs simh and boots
>directly into the guest OS with as little fuss and muss as possible.
>There'd never really be any need to access the host OS once the system was
>set up.

I've thought of something like this myself.  I wonder what it would
take to set up set up simh to run under FreeNAS, though my preference
for an OS would be something Linux based (FreeNAS is based on
FreeBSD).  I mention FreeNAS as it has a nice web interface for
controlling it.

When I had the system running on the Celeron, I think I was just
doing a basic Red Hat or SUSE install, and left out the stuff I
didn't need (like X-Windows).  Now I'd probably hunt down a
stripped-down Linux distro.  I would want the system to be running
ssh at a minimum so I could log into the host OS remotely.

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |