[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 77, Issue 20

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Fri Apr 30 14:13:58 EDT 2010

Michael,

I found lots of useful RSTS manuals at http://wjh.conflux.net:16080/RSTS-V9/web/manuals.html
.  From what I read, RSTS supports both DOS-11 and ANSI tape label
processing.  If you use ANSI tapes, you have to choose between no
format conversion or record conversion.  The former writes a "U" for
the file format (an extension to the ANSI spec) in the tape labels.
The manuals say that these tapes can only be read by RSTS systems.  If
you choose format conversion, a "D" is written for the format in the
tape labels.  Unlike RSX-11 and VMS, RSTS does not support ANSI tapes
and format conversions in the file system -- RSTS only writes the
labels for you, you have to perform the format conversion.  The PIP
utility or the DCL COPY command is the most promising way to read/
write tapes -- they will do the format conversions.  As far as I could
tell, RSTS supports FCS (File Control Services) and RMS-11 (Record
Management Services) file formats.  FCS text files are like RT-11
format: the line starts with a LF and ends with a CR.  I think that is
the format you would use to write DOS-11 format tapes (each file has a
14-byte label followed by 512-byte blocks and a tape mark) or ANSI "U"
format tapes.  Just like with FTP, getting text files from one system
to another can be troublesome.  Kermit occurred to me as a viable
alternative.  It sounds like you may already be on to that.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov