[Simh] Making tape/disk images

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 20:36:54 EDT 2010

Larry,

RSTS/E v9.6 is the guest operating system.  Using another SIMH simulation to
do this isn't really suitable.  (To begin with I haven't yet solved the
problem of getting the OpenVMS CD, but that's a different issue.)  I have
loose files--many of them--I want to get into the PDP-11without hand-typing
thousands of lines of MACRO-11 source.  Using a SIMH VAX to do this just
moves the typing problem around.  It would be nice if I could manually
construct a tape image on the host system instead of the simulated ones.

DECnetting it would be a bit of overkill, but I'll investigate if I can get
that working.

Another possibility would be ... is the specification for ANSI-labelled
tapes lying around somewhere?  I could hack together a tar-like program to
build those from outside of the DEC world if the spec is available
somewhere.

--
"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of
entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people.