[Simh] Making tape/disk images

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 29 13:58:04 EDT 2010

Michael,

Which PDP-11 O/S?  Will it have DECnet access to another system (e.g.,
a SIMH VAX or linux-decnet)?

OpenVMS system can create and mount a Files-11 Level 1 disk volume,
which can be read/written by RSX-11M/M-Plus and IAS.  You could create
a virtual Files-11 Level 1 volume with a SIMH VAX and then read it on
a SIMH PDP-11.  The same SIMH VAX can create a SIMH virtual ANSI-
labelled tape, which can be read/written by those O/S's, and RSTS, I
assume (I have never used RSTS).  RT-11 disk volumes and DOS-11 tape
volumes can be created with the OpenVMS EXCHANGE utility.  Any of
these can be to virtual devices that can be cross-mounted on various
SIMH machines, as long as the O/S supports the volume format.

Of course, any systems that are DECnet'ed together can exchange
files.  I use linux-decnet on a CentOS (Red Hat) file server to store
OpenVMS Backup save sets that are created using remote file access
(FAL) directly from the Backup command.  linux-decnet may not be
available for very much longer -- the people that supported the DECnet
code in the Linux kernel can no longer keep up with the latest
versions of the kernel.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608