[Simh] RSTS/E manuals in DJVU/OCR format

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 09:51:16 EDT 2010

On 21 April 2010 20:58, Michael Kerpan <mjkerpan at kerpan.com> wrote:

> Very cool. Did you do any manual correction of the OCR or is the
> included OCR just the straight results of the OCR program you used?
>
> Mike

I did no manual correction.  I'm far too lazy for that.  :)  I just figured
it's good enough for quickly getting to the right pages for the information
needed, even if it occasionally garbles a sentence or two.

For others wanting to do the same for their manuals, the software used was:

   - Lizardtech's Document Express Enterprise 5.1 (an old version I had
   lying around unused for a long time) to generate the DJVU/OCR files.
   - Readiris Pro 11 Corporate Edition (a copy I picked up cheap from
   someone who doesn't use it anymore) to generate the PDF/OCR files.

Both have the advantage of being able to do large batches without user
intervention.  Readiris does a nice extra of detecting skew and rotation and
adjusting for it automatically.  Document Express doesn't do this so the
DJVU files still have the little scanning tilts.  Next time I do something
like this I'll probably first process with Readiris and then convert the
straightened output to DJVU.

--
"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of
entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people.