[Simh] A quick note on x64 Windows machines & idling..

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 19:14:24 EDT 2009

I've just noticed that using the Visual C++ x64 build tools will result in
exe's that get to 'idle' quicker, and consume less cpu doing so... I imagine
a lot of it has to do with less thunking between 64 & 32bit modes...

On my colo setup 32v was idling between 5-7% utlization with the 32bit exe,
and 2-3% with the x64... while not that 'massive' it does make it easier to
run several copies...

Also as a misc question about Unix 32v, has anyone gotten the DZ11 interface
to work with it?

Thanks!

Jason
(ps if you need binaries or makefiles, let me know)