[Simh] PDP-11 Dungeon

dott.Piergiorgio dott.piergiorgio at fastwebnet.it
Tue Oct 6 04:31:38 EDT 2009

Shoppa, Tim ha scritto:
> Bob writes:
>> To answer the other questions: I have no source code or documentation
>> for the PDP-11 versions.  The revision history shows that the PDP-11
>> version was revised several times from 1978 to 1980:
>
>> 3,18-Oct-80    Revised DECUS version (V2.6A).
>> 3,18-Jul-80    Transportable data base file (V2.5A).
>> 3,28-Feb-80    Compressed text file (V2.4A).
>> 3,15-Nov-79    Bug fixes (V2.3A).
>> 3,18-Jan-79    Revised DECUS version (V2.2A).
>> 3,10-Oct-78    Puzzle Room (V2.1A).
>> 3,10-Sep-78    Endgame (V2.0A).
>> 3,10-Aug-78    DECUS version (V1.1B).
>> 3,14-Jun-78    Public version with parser (V1.1A).
>> 3,04-Mar-78    Debugging version (V1.0A).
>
> I think the PDP-11 2.6A sources are online as "dunsrc.dsk", google it :-).
>
> I should put it together with a Fortran compiler of the era. Fortran IV is obviously the right thing but maybe it'd compile with one of the later Fortran 77 compilers in Fortran IV backwards compatible mode. Maybe. Resulting code would probably not be as tight as the threaded stuff that Fortran IV could put out. That was always fun to disassemble!

Being a denizen of rec.arts.int-fiction (the NG for text adventure
development) I can humbly point that was found the original Crowther
wersion, that is, the codebase from wchich Woods writes Colossal Cave,
later known, well, as Dungeon ?

It's a bit lame, because has no puzzles, being a virtual mapping of the
mammoth & flint cave, but is definitively the oldest text adventure
source, or, to be really honest, the ur-text of text adventures.

It's available, in modern tarball, on the IF Archive (and please, use
the mirrors ;) )

And surprisingly, there was really little work for compiling it with GNU
Fortran, showing again the large portability of Fortran sources.

Hope to be of actual help, and

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.