[Simh] Extending memory

eabreu at rdmetal.ulg.ac.be eabreu at rdmetal.ulg.ac.be
Tue Nov 24 09:38:59 EST 2009

At 18:04 23/11/2009, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 7:47 AM, patrick renouvel <prenouvel at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After modifying the ini file with set cpu 256m, no way to have more than
> > 64m.
> >
> > Please find hereafter a hard copy of a show mem who shows 256 megs but 4
> > times 16 m....
> >

> > Could someone help me on this ?
> >

>Which CPU are you simulating?
>
>     carl
>--
>     carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
>                                                  clowenstein at ucsd.edu

Sorry for my previous mail about running SYSGEN, sent too early...

I just made a quick check with a simulated VAX/VMS system :

- simh configured with "set cpu 256M" in ini file, using microcode
"ka655x.bin".
- "show mem" at the >>> prompt only shows 4 memory banks of 16M...
- But if I boot VMS (with PHYSICALPAGES set to 524288), "show memory"
under VMS shows 256.00Mb !

I think it is just a display problem with this version of the
microcode.  The real VAX emulated by Simh only supported 64 megs. The
"ka655x.bin" firmware was modified to handle up to 512 megs but the
display was not updated...

--
Eduardo Abreu