[Simh] VAX780 LPT problem OpenVMS

Jeremy Begg jeremy at vsm.com.au
Wed Nov 18 18:47:52 EST 2009

hi Fausto,

>> Please post your SIMH ini file.
>>
>> What you see with $SHOW DEV is normal for a spooled printer. The RA72
>> is the device you $SET DEV /SPOOLED to, right?
>>

>To set the spooled device I used the standard command written in
>SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM
>
>$ SET DEVICE /SPOOLED=(SYS$PRINT, SYS$SYSDEVICE) $PRINTER
>
>where $PRINTER is defined as LPA0:

Please note that you don't have to spool the device unless you really want to.

The purpose of "spooling a device" is to allow your programs to submit jobs
to a printer without having to call the SYS$SNDJBC(W) sytem service.  The
program merely has to open the spooled device for sequential output (as if
it was a file), write the text to be printed to the "file", and then close
the "file" -- at which point RMS creates a print job for you.

Traditionally the device being spooled is the same device to which the print
queue is directed but it doesn't have to be.  (For example, at times in the
past I have created a LAT port which has been spooled to SYS$BATCH.)

So try this:

  $ stop/reset sys$print
  $ set device/nospool lpa0
  $ show queue/full sys$print
  $ show printer lpa0
  $ show device/full lpa0
  $ start/queue sys$print

Regards,

        Jeremy Begg

  |            VSM Software Services Pty. Ltd.              |
  |                 http://www.vsm.com.au/                  |
  |       "OpenVMS Systems Management & Programming"        |
  | P.O.Box 402, Walkerville, |  E-Mail:  jeremy at vsm.com.au |
  | South Australia 5081      |   Phone:  +61 8 8221 5188   |
  |  A.C.N. 068 409 156       |     FAX:  +61 8 8221 7199   |