[Simh] VAX780 LPT problem OpenVMS

Fausto Saporito fausap at unina.it
Wed Nov 18 04:26:35 EST 2009

Quoting Wilm Boerhout <w781 at planet.nl>:

> Please post your SIMH ini file.
>
> What you see with $SHOW DEV is normal for a spooled printer. The RA72
> is the device you $SET DEV /SPOOLED to, right?

To set the spooled device I used the standard command written in
SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM

$ SET DEVICE /SPOOLED=(SYS$PRINT, SYS$SYSDEVICE) $PRINTER

where $PRINTER is defined as LPA0:

If I issue the SHOW DEVICE command I can see my hardware online:

$ SHO DEV LP
Device                  Device           Error
  Name                   Status           Count
LPA0:                   Online spooled       0

$ SHO PRINTER LPA0

Printer LPA0:, device type RA72, is online, record-oriented device, carriage
     control, device is spooled through an intermediate device.

     Error count                    0    Operations completed
         2
     Owner process                 ""    Owner UIC
  [SYSTEM]
     Owner process ID        00000000    Dev Prot
S:RWPL,O:RWPL,G,W
     Reference count                0    Default buffer size
       132
     Page width                   132    Page Length
        66
     Carriage_return     Formfeed        Uppercase
     No Passall          No Wrap         No Printall
     No Fallback         No Tab          No Truncate
     Intermediate device: DUA0:
     Associated queue:    SYS$PRINT

if I try to start the queue I have:

%%%%%%%%%%%  OPCOM  18-NOV-2009 10:21:12.20  %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user QUEUE_MANAGE on VAXPA1
%QMAN-I-QUENOTSTART, queue SYS$PRINT could not be started on node VAXPA1

%%%%%%%%%%%  OPCOM  18-NOV-2009 10:21:12.21  %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user QUEUE_MANAGE on VAXPA1
-SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHDEV, no such device available

%SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHDEV, no such device available

my ini file is:

set cpu 128m
set cpu idle
set rq0 ra72