[Simh] Vax 11/780 with multiple CPUs?

Boucher, François boucher.francois at uqam.ca
Thu May 28 14:57:15 EDT 2009

Hi to all!

I would be interested to help develop a VAX-11/784 with simh, ie a VAX 11/780 with multiple CPUs

The VAX-11/784, code named "VAXimus", is a very rare configuration consisting of four VAX-11/780 CPUs sharing a single MA780 memory unit  (Excerpt from wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAX-11

Since the VAX 11/780 CPU code is already developped, there would only be a need to create a
thread on a process per CPU the emulated CPUs.  With some multicore host machines available, this
would be relatively easy to have the host machine support such a setup.  But on the software side, is it
possible to adapt simh to use multithreading?

Where I am stopped at, is:  how to implement the changes in simh to add one of more cpu(s), and where can i get
the console rom binary code needed to support the multiple CPUs on the simulated vax 11/784?

Also, on the 11/780, the sim implements the MS780C memory controller, while the 11/784 uses
the MA780.  Where could I find the documentation where the differences are between the two
memory controllers?

Thanks in advance to all for help / pointers on this!

François Boucher