[Simh] Errors when using pUTTY terminal emulator to telnet to simh.

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Thu May 28 11:26:06 EDT 2009

Rey writes:
> I'd tried again another terminal emulator. Eterm32 Plus, but still same
> message displayed as in Putty.BUT...when I used again another emulator,
> TeraTerm, ITS WORKING FINE. everything then is OKAY.

All those terminal emulators are semi-usable but really pretty rotten
compared to a real VT100 or VT220.

The only thing on a Microsoft platform that comes remotely close to
correct non-frustrating VT emulation is
MS-DOS Kermit. It even maps the Gold key (aka PF1) correctly. This
is incredibly important for those of us who actually like EDT. I know
I just painted myself into a really tiny corner by admitting that I like EDT.
But that also means that I'm also really really picky and exacting about
terminal emulation. The Gold key is supposed to be where God intended
it to be, damn it, not what some loser later called the Num Lock key!

xterm with a DEC keyboard (they are available for PC-clones, at least PS/2,
don't know about USB) can be pretty good under Linux, but IMHO still not
as good as MS-DOS Kermit. It takes some tweaking of the .xtermrc from
standard default Linux installations to make it actually work well; most
Linux distros ship with a really stupid and lousy .xtermrc which has
all sorts of features that real VT terminals definitely do not have.

MS-DOS Kermit also has a spot-on perfect VT52 emulation.

MS-DOS Kermit works very nicely with a built-in TCP/IP stack and also
network support for LAT (DEC's terminal server over Ethernet protocol).
These are incredibly incredibly handy.

There is also a Windows version that is passable but when I'm in
a "remove all frustration mode" I don't run Windows :-). I haven't
used Kermit for Windows since the Windows 95 days so maybe it has
progressed since then. I guess if Kermit for Windows was OK back then
then it may be even better now.

Tim.