[Simh] visualizing processors?

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Sun Mar 1 14:47:34 EST 2009

On Sunday, March 1, 2009 at 3:51, Richard wrote:

> Are there any plans to support visualization of processors in simh?
>
> By visualization, I mean some sort of representation of the processor
> state that updates automatically when I single step, etc.

If "etc." includes breakpoints, then this can be done now, albeit with a
bit of effort.  Breakpoints can optionally support actions, such as
displaying the processor state, e.g.:

  sim> break 100; examine cpu state

Each time the breakpoint is reached, SIMH will print the CPU registers.
The action is quite general; a subset of CPU registers may be printed, or
values may be changed, or any other SIMH commands may be substituted, as
documented on page 11 of the user's manual.

Actions are currently not permitted on the STEP command, although that
certainly would be a reasonable enhancement request (STEP [ ;action ] would
establish an action, STEP by itself would perform any previously
established action, and STEP ; would cancel an action).

                                      -- Dave