[Simh] visualizing processors?

Howard M. Harte hharte at hartetechnologies.com
Sun Mar 1 13:05:19 EST 2009

It would be nice if there was a general way to do this.  What I have
done for TX-0 simulation is to add DEBUG flags to the CPU device.
When enabled, the instruction processing loop prints out verbose
information about registers before and after instruction execution.  I
also added counters, so I can see which instructions are being used
for a particular program.

One idea might be to make a simulated JTAG interface, and then use
GDB.  That might be nice for CPU's which are supported by GDB, like VAX.

I've also thought about doing something similar for the Z80
simulator.  Zilog has the ZDS-II IDE which has a nice debugger.  I
reverse-engineered the protocol, so it would be possible to create a
DLL that gets loaded by ZDS-II and communicates with SIMH instead of a
real CPU.

-Howard