[Simh] Hello and a noobish question about networking

Markus Ruggiero markus at ruggiero.ch
Tue Jan 20 02:06:56 EST 2009

Haven't done this yet but one possibility could be running SIMH within
a virtual machine. This could be a minimum bare bones Linux without
GUI. Networking should then "just work" because all the TUN/TAP stuff
would then be handled by VMWare or whatever else one uses to
virtualize. Anyone done this? Any volunteers out there to create a
VMWare appliance with SIMH?

---markus---

On 20.01.2009, at 04:44, Jason Stevens wrote:

> This has reminded me I need to update the sourceforge with more
> binaries, I added a linux i386 with a 'semi' static libpcap attached
> in there...
>
> What's odd is under linux you cannot link -lrt statically... I guess
> I'll have to hunt down the source to librt and just include the
> associated object files...
>
> Anyways I'll try to get access to a PowerMAC or some kind of mac with
> universal tools and build some more builds..
>
> As for using the networking support I've usually just attached it to
> the physical eth0 on linux.
>
> You could do some tun/tap trickery, but it'll involve modules & some
> other stuff....
>
> Which reminds me I should do another build with SLiRP support for us
> TCP/IP folk.
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Michael Kerpan
> <mjkerpan at kerpan.com> wrote:
>>
>> So I'm Mike from Boston, a long time user and a first time
>> "caller"...
>>
>> I recently got an OpenVMS hobby license and a copy of the OpenVMS 7.3
>> distribution media. My question is fairly simple, but I can't seem to
>> figure out how to proceed: how do I get Simh 3.8 set up to use a
>> tun/tap network interface in Linux? I would assume that I need to
>> install all the pcap stuff and compile the VAX emulator with network
>> support, but where would I go from there? Is there anything special
>> I'd need to do? Is the fact that my network card is of the wireless
>> sort a problem? I've never used tun/tap before and this is pretty
>> esoteric stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Mike

Markus Ruggiero
rucotec consulting and technologies    email     mailto:markus.ruggiero at rucotec.ch
rucotec GmbH                           web       http://www.rucotec.ch
Steinentorstrasse 8
4051 Basel                             Mobile    +41 (0)79 508 4701
Switzerland                            Phone/Fax +41 (0)61 271 4990