[Simh] PDP-11 RD32 MSCP drive parameters investigated, new pdp11_rq.c

Jörg Hoppe j_hoppe at t-online.de
Wed Jan 14 14:55:02 EST 2009

I added support for the RD32 drive into pdp11_rq.c, see attachement.

The problem were the exact drive parameters.

I merged and cross checked data from serveral sources.

This was my input:
1) I have a real RD32 on my 11/53 .
   I isssued an MSCP "GET UNIT STATUS" cmd on the RXQ3 controller.
2) I executed XXDP utility ZRQGC0 on my real RD32.
3) I used the drive parameter for the Seagate ST-251 drive.
4) I found a formating session for an RD32 at
        http://home.claranet.nl/users/pb0aia/vax/fmtbob.html
5) From the data above, I derived this formula
        hostlbn + rcts*rctc  + rbn = cyl * hd * sect + 2 * (xbn+dbn)
   This formula is satisfied by the RD31 already defined in pdp11_rq.c,
   and is also satisfied by my new RD32.
6) I installed an Ultrix-11 on to my simulated RD32 and transfered
   the image to my real RD32. The resulting system boots and passes all
tests.

Allmost all drive parameters are approved by more than one source.
There were no contradictionary data.

hope this helps,
Joerg Hoppe