[Simh] OpenVMS licenses now transferable to emulators

Edward Berry eaberry1 at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 9 15:48:41 EST 2009

Robert G. Schaffrath wrote:
 . .
> nostalgic.  I was lucky enough to have been able to migrate my MAIL.MAI
> files through successive jobs (via TK50's) so I still have the ability
> to read emails from my first VMS job dating to 1986.  About two years
> ago I actually copied and replied to one of the messages from an old
> friend and blew his socks off when he saw the date and the subject matter.
>
> Robert Schaffrath

The software on the hobbyist CD includes a POP server- so i can
start it up on the vax emulator, go to thunderbird or mozilla
on another machine on the subnet and configure a pop account with
the vax's IP as server. Then log into the vax, run MAIL,
select the folder with the messages I restored from ancient tapes,
and copy to folder newmail. Back to thunderbird, check mail, and suddenly I've
got several hundred "new" mails, with original headers intact.
Save them in a special folder for future reference, sending
someone a blast from the past, or an April 4 surprise.

Ed