[Simh] OpenVMS licenses now transferable to emulators

Robert G. Schaffrath robert at schaffrath.net
Mon Feb 9 14:26:12 EST 2009

It is quite impressive to have what would have been several refrigerator
sized pieces of equipment reduced to a laptop PC with perhaps more
performance.  Many years ago my pride and joy at work was a departmental
VAX 6330 with an expansion cabinet, eight RA82's and four RA90's.  To
think I can easily equal that on a netbook sized laptop and have it do
other things simultaneously is truly amazing.  These days I do not spend
much time in my emulated VMS V5.5-2 system unless I am feeling
nostalgic.  I was lucky enough to have been able to migrate my MAIL.MAI
files through successive jobs (via TK50's) so I still have the ability
to read emails from my first VMS job dating to 1986.  About two years
ago I actually copied and replied to one of the messages from an old
friend and blew his socks off when he saw the date and the subject matter.

Robert Schaffrath