[Simh] OpenVMS licenses now transferable to emulators

Michael Kerpan mjkerpan at kerpan.com
Mon Feb 9 12:55:20 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Hittner, David T (IT)
<david.hittner at ngc.com> wrote:
> No; Digital/Compaq/HP PAKs are legally bound to the hardware system that
> they were issued for.
> If you replace the hardware, you have to pay to transfer/upgrade the
> PAKs to the new hardware.
>
> Hobbyist PAKs are different; they don't care what the hardware is, so
> you can use them in an emulator at your convenience.
> However, Hobbyist PAKs are for personal use only. You may not legally
> run them to deliver a corporate service.
>
> This announcement allows you to legally transfer older hardware-bound
> PAKs to the new "hardware" of a software emulator.
> I could use this new method to transfer my $40K corporate software
> license asset to an emulator.
>
> Dave
Ahh, so hobbyist PAKs are more different from real PAKs than I'd
though. Unless you're a buisness, they're MUCH nicer ;)

Anyway, how many VUPS does a SIMH VAX on semi-modern stock hardware
have compared to the fastest real VAXen? Is there any good way to find
out?

Mike