[Simh] simh and tap device under linux

David Holland david.w.holland at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 21:45:46 EDT 2009

<snip>

> Disclaimer: my company has a business relationship Process Software.

I only use their hobbyist program, I'm afraid.   (Which is much appreciated)

>>However, depending on your underlying hardware, it can be pretty slow.
>>
>>(ie: 1.4Ghz is NOT enough.)
>
> Probably very true, but I've only ever used it on real VAXes.  MultiNet's
> SSH server seems to work fine on my VAXstation 4000/60.  Configuring it
> (generating the permanent host keys) took ages while the poor old VAX ground
> it's way through the math, but once that part is done the rest of it is fine
> (for single sessions, anyway).

I'm not complaining about the product, and I don't wish my previous
note to be misconstrued as a complaint about the product itself.

The TCPWare product itself seems quite good, just the SSH encryption
was really slow.   Host key generation, (measured in 10s of minutes)
as well as session key generation (measured in minutes) were slow.
The per-session key generation was slow enough, in my case, to make it
unusable.

I'm sure relatively slow Xeon's + Vmware + Fedora 11 + SIMH + SIMH CPU
Throttling, was a significant source of much slowness.....