[Simh] simh and tap device under linux

Seth Morabito sethm at loomcom.com
Mon Aug 24 12:44:22 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:08 AM, <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now the million-dollar question: is there any way to set this up so that I
> don't have to give someone full-on God Mode privileges to run the emulator
> properly? I'm not so sure I want to give this thing access to everything on
> my system at this time.

There are two possible techniques. The first is changing the ownership
of the executable to 'root' and setting the suid bit. For example:

% sudo chown root pdp11
% sudo chmod u+s pdp11

This will allow anyone with rights to execute the program to run it as
the root user.

The other technique works as long as you have 'sudo' installed. You
can add a line to your /etc/sudoers file to let a normal user (login
'foobar') run the executable as root:

foobar           ALL=NOPASSWD: /path/to/pdp11

Then the user 'foobar' just has to type "sudo pdp11" to get it to run
with root privileges. Other users won't be able to, only 'foobar'.

Both techniques are a security risk, but as they say, life involves
risk. :-) Only you can decide how much security trade-off you're
willing to live with.

-Seth