[Simh] Additional Interfaces for the VAX780 simulator

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 22:51:32 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Bob Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>>Ethan said:
>>What I said in response is still correct - "standard" PC hardware has
>>no way to speak sync serial  ....
>
>  A standard PC 8250/16450/16550/etc serial port is indeed asynchronous, but
> there are synchronous serial cards for ISA, PCI and PCMCIA (at very least).
> Just Google "synchronous serial card".

Ah.  I was aware of a few sync serial cards for ISA, but didn't know
there were similar things for PCI or PCMCIA.

To clarify, by "standard" I meant the machines that 99% of people
already have at their disposal, not to imply that additional
functionality couldn't be intentionally added.

>  I've got a 11/53+ with a DSV11 card and a uVAX-III with a DPV11, and it'd
> be fun to have something to connect them to :-)  [Yeah, I could connect them
> to each other, but they're already on the same Ethernet...]

I can see that... fun, but not needed just to pass bits back and forth.

That's why I'd ever consider setting up real hardware with COMBOARDs -
for the fun of it - to demonstrate how a HASP link works, but not
because it was the only way to move data around anymore.

-ethan