[Simh] VAX 780 as a boot server

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 19:51:44 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Robert Jarratt
<robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Yes indeed, the ultimate aim is to get a version of VMS running on a
> MicroVAX II which is currently fitted with a DEQNA.

Nice.  That's something I haven't been able to get together myself
(lacking a DEQNA, mostly).

> The MicroVAX II has an RD53 in it but I am not sure it works.

Odd are not.  Among other things, the rubber head stop bumper turns to
goo and glues the positioner down.  It can be freed by opening the lid
and manually prying it loose, but that's not exactly nice to the
drive.

> I have no other machine to put the RD53 into...

If you have an RQDX3 in the uVAXII and you have or can borrow a
MicroVAX or VAXstation 2000, the uVAX2K/VS2K can read and write and
even format your RD53.

> and no other disks I can put into the MicroVAX II (as far as I know).

I don't know the exact list of what works on an RQDX1 or RQDX2 off the
top of my head (nor how to format for them), but for an RQDX3, you can
use a wide variety of drives (RD32 == Seagate ST225, RD33 == Seagate
ST251-2, RD53 == Micropolis 1335, RD54 == Maxtor XT2190) as long as
you can locate a _Field Service_ diagnostic tape (not the _Customer_
diagnostic tape).  There's also the option of formatting those same
disks in a uVAX2K/VS2K.