[Simh] VAX 780 as a boot server

Robert G. Schaffrath robert at schaffrath.net
Wed Apr 8 17:55:03 EDT 2009

A DEQNA!  Boy does that bring back memories.  I don't recall what the
final revision level was on those before the DELQA took over.  I worked
for a reseller back in the late 1980's and it seemed that there was
always a new release of that board coming out.  At one time we had a box
of about twenty of the things in our warehouse that had been pulled from
systems that were being exported and it was not legal, at the time, to
export Ethernet cards to where we were sending the systems.  We thought
we had something useful to sell only to find later on that they were
several steps behind in revision level.  The release of the DELQA made
them practically worthless.

It is interesting that the 3900 runs 4.6.  The 3600 was announced to the
world at DECWorld in 1987 and VMS was currently at 4.6 back then.  5.0
came out in 1988 and the 3900 hit the market sometime in 1989 IIRC.  The
firm I worked for after the reseller had a 3600 purchased in 1988 that
we had board upgraded to a 3900 in 1990.  We were already at 5.0+ by then.

Gad, that was all 22 years ago...

Robert