[Simh] Recovering VMS Savesets from .tap files

Boucher, François boucher.francois at uqam.ca
Mon Apr 6 09:41:26 EDT 2009

I have a .tap file that contains VMS BACKUP savesets. I need to get these
savesets onto a real VAX. Is there a way to do this from the real VAX
itself? I know I could use the simulated VAX to do this, but the problem is
then getting the file across to the real VAX. My last attempt to use TCP/IP
with SIMH was a disaster, the winpcap install trashed my machine and I am
wary of repeating the experience.

I have numerous simulated vaxes running with windows and linux, and never got into the trashing problem you ran into.  Perhaps you could setup a linux box with the simh node running into it?  You can use the very well written
Simh onto linux page by Philip Wherry:
http://www.wherry.com/gadgets/retrocomputing/vax-simh.html

If you have a simh with networking installed, even if it's not TCPIP then
You could use a DECNET copy of the backup savesets to make the file transfer:

MOUNT /OVER=ID MUA0:
If you don't know the filenames of the backup savesets then issue a DIR command:
DIR
Else,
COPY MUA0:[000000]SAVESET1.BKP REALVAXNODE"USERNAME PASSWORD"::DKA0:[000000]

DKA0:[000000] would be the intended destination on the physical vax.
Both machines needs to be on the same LAN, and have their decnet nodes defined.  Example:
MCR NCP
DEFINE NODE SIMH
1.X
SIMH
1.X

Where 1.X is the DECNET address of the SIMH node,   SIMH the name of the node.
Then repeat the process with a:
SET NODE SIMH
To have the node in the volatile database.

You need to do the same on the physical vax with the proper parameters.
You also need enough space to hold the saveset you want to retrieve.
You then use the backup command to restore the saveset copied on the dka0: drive.

Another way to go would be to have the simh vax node in the cluster with
The physical vax.  It (the physical vax) would then be able to access the
Simulated tape as it would be a "local" tape.

For example, if you consider a mixed hardware cluster like the following:
View of Cluster from system ID 1088  node: TANIUM           6-APR-2009 09:24:40
|                         SYSTEMS                        | MEMBERS |
+--------+--------------------------------+--------------+---------+
|  NODE  |             HW_TYPE            |   SOFTWARE   |  STATUS |
+--------+--------------------------------+--------------+---------+
| TANIUM | HP rx2600  (1.50GHz/6.0MB)     | VMS V8.3     | MEMBER  |
| VAX73  | MicroVAX 3900 Series           | VMS V7.3     | MEMBER  |
| AS1    | Digital Personal WorkStation   | VMS V8.3     | MEMBER  |
| VSR190 | MicroVAX 3900 Series           | VMS V7.3     | MEMBER  |
+--------+--------------------------------+--------------+---------+

If I issue a SHOW DEV D, from node AS1 I get:
$2$DKA0:         (AS1)  Mounted         0  AS1           10807200   423   1
$3$DUA0:       (VAX73)  Mounted         0  (remote mount)                 1
$4$DKA0:      (TANIUM)  Mounted         0  DIX0         130544176     1   4
$4$DKA100:    (TANIUM)  Mounted         0  DIX1         113753472     5   4
$4$DKB200:    (TANIUM)  Mounted         0  DIX2         126743064     1   4

You can see that the disks labelled DIX0, DIX1, DIX2 are mounted on AS1 which accesses them without problems.

Hope this helps, and I wish you a nice day!

Francois Boucher ing
UQAM