[Simh] Recovering VMS Savesets from .tap files

Stephen Hoffman Info at HoffmanLabs.com
Sat Apr 4 13:35:33 EDT 2009

Robert Jarratt writes

> I have a .tap file that contains VMS BACKUP savesets. I need to get
> these
> savesets onto a real VAX. Is there a way to do this from the real VAX
> itself? I know I could use the simulated VAX to do this, but the
> problem is
> then getting the file across to the real VAX. My last attempt to use
> TCP/IP
> with SIMH was a disaster, the winpcap install trashed my machine and
> I am
> wary of repeating the experience.

Here is some related reading:

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/docs/simh_magtape.pdf

I haven't tried taput, but it looks like it might be a reasonable
approach:

http://www.mrynet.com/hp2000/taput/index.html
http://www.mrynet.com/hp2000/tsb_utility/README

and for reading those BACKUP savesets on Mac OS X, Linux and various
other platforms:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/817