[Simh] Idle problem with VAX/VMS V4.7 on Simh V3.8-0

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Mon Sep 22 10:05:10 EDT 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:16:31 -0400, you wrote:

> I can offer some 'temporary' relief for the whole idle thing...
> You can change the idle from VMS to 32v.  It's far from where it was in the
> older version, but it'll not quite eat 100% of the cpu, more so in the
> 40-80% ranges.. (Checked on Windows 2000 & my Playstation 3 (linux))

Very nice discovery! :) Actually our CPU consumption is stable at about 50%
and sometimes we are under the impression that idle detection stops working
for a while even when VMS is doing nothing: maybe there is some slight process
activity (e.g. DECnet ACP) that over-triggers Simh. Anyway that's a good start
and surely better than almost fixed 100% CPU use!

Now the question is: which is the difference between idle=VMS and idle=32v and
why VMS 4.x works better with the "wrong" setting?

Thanks again,
G.