[Simh] A new version...

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Sat Sep 20 13:57:01 EDT 2008

Philipp Hachtmann wrote:

>Ok, folks,
>
>what shall I say? I'm getting frustrated. Spent nearly two days with the
>  Makefile and a suitable basic readline support...
>Yes, Improvements are bad. Dangerous. Political incorrect. Sorry.
>

><snip>
>

>Good night,
>Philipp

I would like to encourage your efforts. I think a better make file would
be an important and helpful improvement

I'm not fond of working on make files, I'd rather be working on the
emulator itself. As such I'm perfectly glad to let you, or somebody
else, do it. I'm one of the last few people to submit accepted changes
to the mass of host system conditionals at the top of the current
makefile. I'm not 100% happy with them.

The current makefile already requires the GNU make (at least it fails
with at least two other make utilities I've tried.)

There are some potential pitfalls to be avoided when creating a makefile
for SIMH that I don't have the time to describe at the moment.

Tonight I'll do test builds with your makefile on linux(intel)
solaris(sparc) and OS X (ppc) and take some time to look for the issues
that concern me.

In the mean time, please don't give up.