[Simh] A new version...

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Fri Sep 19 12:09:08 EDT 2008

On 19-Sep-08, at 11:54 AM, Terry Newton wrote:

> --- On Fri, 9/19/08, Philipp Hachtmann <hachti at hachti.de> wrote:
>
>> there's a new version of my Makefile:
>>
>> http://hachti.de/simh/Makefile
>
> I tried the new makefile, the only edit I made to it was
> changing "bin" to "BIN".
>
> With Ubuntu 8.04 w/ about 440 megs ram and about 900 megs swap
> the makefile works perfectly. Thanks for addressing the concern
> over recompiling, make hp2100clean hp2100 seems to work fine
> and solves that "problem" nicely. I was surprised that the new
> make is much faster than using the stock makefile.

I hope you're convinced now that it really is better to use make
correctly... furthermore, if you have more than one CPU, or a
Hyperthreading CPU, you can add the '-jN' option to speed things up
even further.

> The binaries
> came out yet another size by a fraction of a K or so but by now
> I'm used to that, compilers are just weird that way. The only
> thing I need to do that I didn't have to do before is manually
> remove the object files... (very carefully) rm *.o followed by
> rm */*.o - this is acceptable since it gives the choice to
> leave them and speed up recompiles.. noted when I removed
> the "bin" dir and binaries and edited for BIN instead, took
> just a second to recreate all the binaries.
>
> Ok for use under Linux I'm sold, the new makefile appears
> to be better. But only for use under *nix environments...

> Under Windows XP running in VirtualBox with 192MB ram and
> a 512MB swap file, all I get is:
>
> C:\simh380test>build_mingw.bat
> mingw32-make: *** virtual memory exhausted.  Stop.
>
> This is with v3.80 of mingw32-make. The error occurs immediately
> with no other output, I rather doubt it actually used all of
> virtual memory (but maybe tried to grab more than was available).
> Working out the dependencies should require nowhere near the
> amount of memory available, although on the small side, I use
> this system to run fairly intense apps including 3D viewers so
> I suspect an incompatibility with the MinGW make program.
> Build_mingw.bat works fine with the stock makefile.

The new Makefile should work fine in Cygwin and mingw. 192MB RAM is
just NOT realistic, especially in Windows (would probably be enough
for Linux, BSD, etc). gcc alone is likely to need much more than
that. The resource requirements for make are tiny.

--Toby