[Simh] A new version...

Philipp Hachtmann hachti at hachti.de
Fri Sep 19 07:23:52 EDT 2008

Hi again,

there's a new version of my Makefile:

http://hachti.de/simh/Makefile

> --- On Thu, 9/18/08, Terry Newton <wtn90125 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> makefile:244: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>
> The problem turned out to be the makefile requires tabs
> preceding the indented make rules, when copy/pasted from
> an email posting the tabs were converted to spaces.
> Once I fixed that (and changing -I common to include .)
> the test makefile worked perfectly.
:-)
That's a common mistake. You should simply use the "save as" command to
save an attached file or the URL in this posting.

> A side note regarding "installation" - all my oldcomp
> scripts point to [simh dir]/BIN (uppercase) so if that
> changed, dozens of my shell scripts would also have to
> change (but won't, I'd just have to edit the makefile
> to make BIN uppercase again).
I have changed my Makefile to work with all default names and locations.
You can simply put it into your simhv38 direrctory and use it.
If there's still the old makefile, you have to run make with
"-f Makefile".

> One implication of a proper makefile is with the old
> "dumb" makefile I can force a recompilation of a single
> binary (say to compile with a different gcc version)
> by simply renaming or removing it, all objects it uses
> will blindly be rebuilt. With the new makefile I have
> to manually remove every object in the root and the
> corresponding sim dir, or after making manually copy all
> the binaries to another directory. But can't move them or
> it'd rebuild (relink) everything again. As far as I can
> tell there's no way to automate this -
There are new make targets: novaclean, pdp11clean...
They delete exactly the stuff needed to build the corresponding
simulator. So the common stuff as well. If you run a
"make novaclean nova" for example, it will be guaranteed that
the nova stuff is correctly and fully rebuilt :-)

> Re: testing makefiles - please send to my email address
> as an attached zip and I'll give it a try under Linux
> and Windows to see how it does.
Please try the link as I'm currently away from home.

Best wishes,

Philipp :-)