[Simh] PDP10 ethernet?

Brad Parker brad at heeltoe.com
Thu Sep 4 14:27:38 EDT 2008

Rich Alderson wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 22:22:13 -0700
>> From: "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com>
>
>> At 9:16 PM -0700 9/3/08, Zachary Kline wrote:
>>> I was wondering what the status of PDP10 ethernet support was?
>>> (I've an interest in ITS and other operating systems for it, but
>>> would like ethernet if at all possible.
>>> (I've read that the SIMH delua support is just a stub.)
>>> Any info would be appreciated.
>
>> I believe SIMH only emulates the KS10, and as I recall that hardware
>> never really supported ethernet.  You might have better luck with the
>> KLH10 emulator.  You might find the following page of use, though I
>> really need to find time to update it.
>
>> http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/pdp10emu.html
>
>For that matter, does *ITS* support Ethernet?  (I honestly don't know.)  The
>AILab hackers went to the trouble of creating a Unibus-based Chaosnet interface
>for their KS10s, rather than Ethernet.

I could swear I've run ITS on an emulator and had ethernet working.  I
don't recall if it was simh, however, but I think it was.

It was a while back, so I could be making it up, but I recall having to
bake the IP address into the ITS kernel image (doesn't everyone know
midas? :-)

As I recall we did this to get the lisp machine emulator talking to the
an ITS host.  Björn Victor <Bjorn at victor.se> would know for sure.  I'd
just ask him.  I think he got it to work.

-brad