[Simh] Installing VMS from backup sets

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 00:14:45 EDT 2008

Hi, all,

I have a backup set of an 11/750 I used to run VMS 4.6 on 15 years ago.  I've
slurped the tape into saveset files, and I think all I would need is a
compatible
version of SABACKUP to load into simh to restore these tapes, right?

Is there anywhere I can pick up an ancient SABACKUP kit that will work
with simh?  At home (10,000 miles away), I have various versions on TU58 for
the 11/750, but I have my doubts that would even work on an emulated
11/780 (obviously, I never tried it in real life).

I've been seeing some traffic here and there on the list about various
versions of BSD, etc., under 11/780 emulation, but is anyone here
running VMS older than 5.0?  Fortunately, most of what I have on this
saveset should run fine even on a newer platform, but I do have some
old stuff (Whitesmith's C, etc.), that I'd like to be able to re-generate
VMS 4.x executables from to reproduce the working environment I
used to have when the machine running this saveset was what I used
every day.

Thanks for any tips for getting ancient versions of VMS running.

-ethan