[Simh] Errors when running UNIX V7

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Thu May 22 14:15:38 EDT 2008

> I have spent quite som few hours to find a way to transfer files from
> Linux/Windows to SimH PDP-11. But can't figure out how to do that. I tried
> PUTR V2.01, but can't make it work. Any suggestions?

I use gnu tar with the "-o" option (old format) to create a tar and
then I use a tool to put it on a tape image.  Then I attach the tape
image (att tm filename) and from within unix do "tar t" and "tar x".

> What i want to do is to use one of the original V7 distribution tapes
> (avialable on the net) and do a fresh installation.

The distribution at
http://homepages.fh-giessen.de/~hg53/pdp11-unix/
describes how to install V7 using a tape image and the original
installation procedure.  The resulting system you get is superior
to the pre-canned one you can download as a software kit.  Also
installing from scratch is more fun :)

> /Mike

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/