[Simh] KE11A support patch

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Tue May 6 16:06:41 EDT 2008

> From: Brad Parker <brad at heeltoe.com>
> Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 08:50:59 -0400

> Rich Alderson wrote:

>> I have to ask:  What do you mean by "v1 unix"?  The earliest versions of
>> UNIX ran on the PDP-7, and certainly did not have (PDP-11) Unibus support
>> of any kind.

> dmr himself refers to it as "1st edition".  I guess v1 is not accurate,
> sorry.

> It's the first edition ("1ed") unix which ran on a pdp-11/20 with EAE.

Thanks for the clarification.  dmr has indicated in other contexts that
there were at least 2 releases on the PDP-7 before they started the PDP-11
experiment.

Unfortunately none of the PDP-7 source media survived the move to the new
architecture.  There is some hope that a listing of the 2nd release lives
somewhere in Ken Thompson's archives.

> The project is know as "unix-jun72" because that's the date of the memo
> which published a listing of the kernel source code.

That is very definitely cool, and indicates what might be done if we ever
find a '7 listing.

                                                                Rich