[Simh] VT100 Support on SimH

Bill Heaton wheaton at cryptocybernetics.com
Sun Mar 16 00:13:39 EDT 2008

Hi All,

Spend most of the day chasing this one, so I thought I'd mention it so
that others wouldn't have to chase their tails.

It would appear that in that last half of 2006 a output filter was put
into the console to lose non-printable characters.  Unfortunately one
of the characters that is filtered out is ESC, which means that you
can't use EDT in change mode even if your terminal supports it.

However, the work around is simple as they gave us a way to change the
filter.   The command: "SET CONSOLE PCHAR=01000023600" turns ESC back
on.

Under RSTS/E you can then use:  "SET TERMINAL /INQUIRE" to set the
terminal up.  Reminder:  You terminal will need to be set to something
that RSTS/E will know about (i.e. VT52 through V340).

Regards, Bill