[Simh] RSTS/E 9.5

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Sun Mar 9 19:40:25 EDT 2008

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Bill Heaton wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been a fan of Simh for several years.  After many years I've
> finally gotten
> my hands on a RSTS 9.5 distribution (still looking for the 9.6 update)
> and I
> was just able to sysgen and boot the system on simh.

Yes, everything from V4A-12 to V10.1 all seem to run quite well on simh.
I've been wanting to update the web site to get V9.6 available but work
and sickness just seem to get in the way too much.

> I'm willing to spend some time putting together a howto and a
> distribution kit
> but thought I'd check with you to see if I'd be stepping on anybody's
> toes.
>
> Regards, Bill Heaton

A howto and distribution kit would be great and we would be willing to
host your work if you would like.  I doubt that you would be stepping on
anyones toes.  Tim put years of work into handholding Mentec to get them
to go as far as they did, only to have most of it all disolve in front
of him.  Kirk and I put the web site on hold for years hoping everything
would work out better than it did, but my last contact at Mentec quit
emailing years ago.

We have still been looking for old versions from V5A to V6C.  The V6C we
have up includes all of the distribution, but the INIT.SYS is corrupt.

I would also welcome anyone who would like to post their RSTS hobby work
online for others to learn from, and to invite you to contribute any
knowledge you may remember to the Wikipedia RSTS/E article that Paul
Koning and I have been trying to expand.  Most likely I will replicate
the Wikipedia information locally so that it can be expanded beyond what
Wikipedia is willing to tolerate.

Brett