[Simh] Best way to 'P2V' a live VAX?

Carl Lowenstein carl.lowenstein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 20:29:40 EST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 5:17 PM, Eric Smith <esmithmail at gmail.com> wrote:
> What you guys are talking about here is just the sort of answer I've
> been looking for -- the other direction.  I have a real uVAX 3900 that
> had an older version of VMS on it when I got it, now has OpenBSD.  (I
> MOP booted the VAX using mopd on Linux to install the OpenBSD on it)
>
> But I have the VAX version of OpenVMS 7.3 which I've successfully run
> under SIMH (on Linux) but would like to install on the real VAX.
>
> BUT I can't figure out how to get the software onto the VAX since it's
> on a CD.  It looks like what you guys are talking about here is the
> answer -- but as I say, I don't know VMS well enough to follow the
> general steps you've provided...defining disks, performing a backup,
> changing permissions -- the sort of things that would be childsplay
> for me with UNIX, but not with VMS...yet!

Different approach, which I have used with a VLC VAX.  Image copy the
CD to a small hard drive.  (dd on a Solaris system).  Then connec that
drive to the VAX and boot it.  Not being really adept at VMS, I had to
fumble around but finally got the installation to work.

Major assumption here is that your uVAX has an available SCSI port,
and that you can lay your hands on a hard drive bigger than a CDrom
and smaller than the boot-time limit of the firmware.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenstein at ucsd.edu