[Simh] Simh execution speed improvement - about 45% improvement.

Broer van Smeden smeden at scarlet.nl
Fri Jan 11 16:59:13 EST 2008

> After that, I did compile simh to include the profiling code (by adding
> –pg on the gcc command line).  After studying the profiling, I saw that
> the functions that reads and writes to RAM and ROM are the ones that are
> executed 50% of the time

> The solution is: by declaring those functions as inline!

On my Solaris 10 x64 (AMD Athlon 64 3200+) system, I was already
building the VAX emulator in 64-bit mode using the Sun Studio 11
compiler with the "-m64" switch, and with that, my CALCULATE_VUPS.COM
procedure reported 38.0.

After making the changes to vax_cpu.c, and otherwise leaving everything
else the same, I'm now getting 50.0, a 32% improvement.

Of course, running DCL scripts to approximate computing performance only
gives a rough estimate, but it certainly appears that it's emulating the
VAX more efficiently now.

Dear friends,
It makes me very happy that you still keeping (Open)vms alive.
During server consolidation projects, we used the free T4 tool.
This tool gathers information via standard availble commands and make
various perfomance issues (and of course performance improvement) clear.
More infomation can be found on HP site.
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/OpenVMS/products/t4/t4_faq.html
Hopefully this tool can help you to compare multiple performance items(I/O,
network, locking etc) between various versions or even between your real
hardware and the emulated one.

Kind regards,

Broer van Smeden.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.