[Simh] Simh execution speed improvement - about 45% improvement.

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Fri Jan 11 16:45:12 EST 2008

> After that, I did compile simh to include the profiling code (by adding
> –pg on the gcc command line).  After studying the profiling, I saw that
> the functions that reads and writes to RAM and ROM are the ones that are
> executed 50% of the time

> The solution is: by declaring those functions as inline!

On my Solaris 10 x64 (AMD Athlon 64 3200+) system, I was already
building the VAX emulator in 64-bit mode using the Sun Studio 11
compiler with the "-m64" switch, and with that, my CALCULATE_VUPS.COM
procedure reported 38.0.

After making the changes to vax_cpu.c, and otherwise leaving everything
else the same, I'm now getting 50.0, a 32% improvement.

Of course, running DCL scripts to approximate computing performance only
gives a rough estimate, but it certainly appears that it's emulating the
VAX more efficiently now.

--Marc