[Simh] HP2100 MSU BASIC

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Mon Feb 25 14:00:26 EST 2008

On 25 Feb 2008 at 10:57, Tim Riker wrote:

> Hmm. still not seeing this. Log attached (hope it makes it through if
> not: http://rikers.org/hp2100/simh-msu-log.txt).

As a general note: don't use the LOAD command to load HP system paper
tapes.  Use ATTACH PTR <file> and then BOOT PTR instead.  See section 2.7.1
of the (current) SIMH HP2100 manual, which says:

   Usage note: the LOAD command does not alter the A and B registers,
   whereas BOOT PTR leaves A and B set to zero after a successful load.
   BOOT PTR is preferred when loading HP software that may depend on the
   initial values of the A and B registers.

That may not be a problem here, but another list member ran into this LOAD
vs. BOOT PTR problem last year with some other HP software that depended on
the registers being zero when the loader finished.

> What version of simh are you using?

The current version, 3.7-3.  I also tried 3.7-0, and it worked OK too.

> What OS are you running it on?

WinXP SP 2.

Send me the binaries that you're using off-list (my from address is good),
and I'll try them here.

                                      -- Dave